Action Learning for Leadership - groups
Small groups building personal leadership capacity and enabling leaders to take action to address the right organisational questions.
Smart leaders ask & take action with, the right questions, get to the nub of an issue & invite a diverse group to their "board" table. Addressing the gritty questions of innovative leadership cannot be done alone. It often requires us to challenge our own (& our organisation’s) thinking, view and actions. It invites us into “messiness”, deep reflection and active experimentation.
These action learning groups for leaders enable (challenge and support) innovative effective action around questions which have no easy answers. Here, courageous leaders are able to stop, reflect & engage in the art of generative purposeful conversation with a small group of others dedicated to learning and action. Mindful awareness, deep connections, powerful inquiry & pragmatic action are valued. The leadership learning coach facilitates, supports & challenges the group; technology supporting complexity & creativity is engaged; & the collective resources of the group are drawn on to enable new learning, new ideas, and new steps ahead to be taken.
The structure of groups can be suited to your needs but they most commonly meet monthly, and commit to a period of at least a year. This allows of deep understandings to be cultivated both around issues, leadership capacities, and our basic human-ness.
If you are interested in forming one of these groups within your organisation (across divisions/ areas of expertise) or industry or you are wanting to be part of a diverse group of leaders from across multiple sectors/ industries call me - Lisa on 021 313 323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Also see more information as blogs arise under "journal" on this site.
Practical commitment involved
- 5-7 leaders engage with one group (closed) for a period of 12 months (meeting frequency commonly 10x / year. The composition of the group is crucial – diversity is the key – we work with those involved to form the most powerful group.
- Establish routines of ongoing connection – online contributions, reflections, check ins, notices, journaling. The details of this varies depending on the group composition.
- Make appointments with each other 1:1 between the whole group meetings to further progress.
- Pay the 12m fee upfront – rate varies depending on customisation from $2500pp. Group rates also available.
- Questions are more transforming than answers
- The power of leadership is in the asking, not purely in the answering, of questions
- Our listening creates the space for others’ speaking
- Curiosity, not advice, opens the door to tomorrow being different from yesterday.
- Possibility and discovery is our path, not traditional problem solving
- Unpopular answers, & discomfort, are welcome
- Pauses and silences are integral to great conversation, as is mindful presence
What group members can expect
- Be committed to your own and one another's learning
- Be fully present – do what ever that takes – we’ll intentionally guide this too
- Actively identify your own leadership skill to focus on – and speak this out-loud
- Listen in such a way as to create space for new speaking to emerge from others
- Let go of problem solving – explore the issue and context and purpose fully through inquiry – your team coach will guide the group to this end.
- Ask questions that clarify the “issue holder’s” understanding of the issue and its context, not our own
- Ask questions of other members but not to elicit advice or anecdotes
- Imagine (if need be) you are stakeholders in the issue on the table and offer your perspectives from this angle
- Build on each others questions, rather than wait to squeeze in your own clever one!
Action Learning is a “continuous process of learning and reflection supported by colleagues, with an intention of getting things done” McGill (1993)
Together we will create the space for relatedness, accountability, gifts, generosity, and deep reflective learning for leadership action.
Give me a buzz now on 021 313 323 to chat through what will add most value to your organisation and its leader's ongoing brilliance!